Know Everything About Mobile Game Development Industry Trends
"With fast evolving software development technologies, the global mobile games industry strides even faster. Here is everything to know about mobile game development, including trends, growth, and the future."
Smartphone usage is at an all-time high, and the trend is sustaining. Technologies are advancing persistently, and with that, smartphones are getting cheaper day by day. This trend signifies the app development industry's expansion, and the mobile games industry occupies a big amount of space in the app development industry.
So, let's look at current and upcoming mobile game industry trends and expand within the app development market?
How is the Mobile Games Industry Expanding?
North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and South America are among the top trending mobile gaming markets.
Revenue in the gaming market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 14% by 2025. And most income will come from China itself, which is part of the Asia Pacific region.
And India is the second-largest in that region in terms of a number of mobile game users. The country sees 25.2 % revenue growth and 13% user growth in 2021. So, hiring game developers in India will be beneficial for you in terms of your business's scalability and will be very cost-effective also.
- Mobile games user penetration will be 12.6% in 2021 and will go beyond 16% by 2025.
- The Asia Pacific is the largest market and will remain in the projected time period of 2021-2025. It has 47% of the market share in terms of total revenues.
- Globally, revenue is expected to grow at 14%CAGR in the projected time period.
- Total hours spent on games is growing at 10% YoY .
- Total mobile ad spending will cross USD 250 billion worldwide, and the total time spent on Android devices will touch 674 billion hours. More than 90% of Millenials opt for mobile games against PCs. Mobile games will share 50% of the total gaming industry's revenues.
- In India, the gaming market is worth 2.4 billion dollars.
- Out of total mobile app users, 50% of users play games. The popularity of the mobile gaming market is second best to social media platforms and more than the online music and entertainment industry.
- During the pandemic, game download saw a significant jump worldwide, and even after the lockdown has been lifted across many parts of the world, the trend hasn't reversed completely.
- Out of total app publishers on Google Play and Apple Play store, 15% of publishers are for mobile games.
- By 2022, Android games will account for 56% of all mobile game’s revenue.
These numbers demonstrate the rapid expansion of the mobile game development industry, and to achieve the set targets for the industry, developers are creating an innovative gaming experience. So, let's look at mobile game industry trends.
Online technology and software development are evolving faster and eventually changing the trend in order to achieve growth for the app development industry. As mobile games share 50% of total mobile apps users, trending technology is used to develop trending games.
- Changing the Hyper-Casual Gaming Genre-Hyper - casual gaming market is worth $2 billion. To achieve a higher player retention rate, developers will try to create a new experience in this genre to attract more players. These games will become more complex, skill-based. More third parties IPs will enter this market. Games themes, designs will become more immersive and refurbished.
- AR And VR – The most prominent example of AR (augmented reality) based game is Pokemon Go, launched in 2016. It has been a huge hit and had been downloaded more than 1 billion times as of 2019. The AR technology creates a combined experience of real-world elements and virtual platforms. Hardcore players love to play AR-based games, so the trend is rising.
VR (virtual reality) enabled games to take the players into the virtual world using VR devices. Oculus Rift and PSVR are among those devices. To achieve higher player retention rate and increase the number of new users, VR based mobile games will be developed extensively.
Growing internet speed will aid the growth of streaming in mobile games. So, this trend is inevitable.
- 5G Transformation and Cloud Gaming - Growing 5G technology will boost the gaming infrastructure with Cloud gaming. It is streaming of games and allows players to play a game on any device, making the UX more attractive and the gaming ecosystem stronger. Google's Stadia has created ripples in the gaming industry. The streaming technology will bring more users to the gaming field and bring more revenues. Apart from Stadia, Microsoft's Project xCloud, Sony PlayStation, Nvidia GeForce are very popular cloud gaming examples.
- Social Media for Gaming - The growing online presence in the Social Media Platforms gives tremendous scope for integrating gaming with it. Facebook has started it, and there are many more examples, like Discord, Steam, Twitch, YouTube, etc. With these platforms, players can connect with like-minded gamers, and the gaming experience can become more interactive.
- Mobile Game Monetization - Revenue generation is the key focus of the gaming industry. So, there will be more emphasis on developing strategies to monetize the games.
Ads – Reward ads, Playable ads, Native banner ads, and other in-game ads will be used to make money with games. You can offer your users free to play games, and those will contain the ads to earn revenues for yourself. To create a better mobile gaming UX, you need to create relevant and innovative ads. And that's why the in-game ads will be effective in keeping the balance between a number of ads and an overall better gaming experience.
IAP (in-app purchase) – First, you need to provide users free to play games. And after a player makes a deeper connection with the game, you can offer in-app purchases to level-up his gaming experience.
In-App Bidding- Allows publishers to auction the ad inventory to monetize the app. This technique generates 24 % more revenues.
With these types of strategies, mobile gaming ad revenues grew 30% in just last year only. 42% of app revenue came through video ads, display ads, and native ads. With the help of paid ads, game downloads increased by 15%. And by 2023, global digital ad spending will be at $517.
Mobile usage is increasing, but device rates are decreasing. With technologies evolving faster, the gaming industry is thriving. We have provided all the insights and trends here, so getting on with the mobile game development business won't be a difficult task for you. All you need to do is, create useful gaming apps, find ways to monetize them and evolve around them.
|Vote for this post
Bring it to the Main Page