<i> Whatever your dragon told you, he lied. Dragons are deceitful. You do not know what awaits you on the other side. <Tgsri>Not so long ago on Habr a post was published under the name "<a href="https://habrahabr.ru/company/infopulse/blog/338812/"> How can the function never called be called? <Tgsrcut>". The conclusion from the article is simple: in the case of undefined behaviour, the compiler has the right to take any actions, even if they are completely unexpected. However, I was interested in the very mechanism of this optimization. The result of my small research I want to share with the distinguished community of the hubra.
Michael Swanvik. "The daughter of an iron dragon"
The development team working on PVS-Studio has finally started developing its product for Linux. That was the news that the CTO Andrey Karpov wrote about in the article. Long disputes and requests of the readers on habrahabr.ru, discussions on Reddit, Linux.org and other places can now gain a new round of comments. As it is mentioned in the article, you can volunteer to help the developers to test this product and improve it to a better level.
There are many tasks on the way of PVS-Studio to Linux, that the technical director is talking about. Put briefly, these are:
- more complete support of GCC and Clang;
- a new system of regression tests in Linux, so that you can track the changes results in the analyzer kernel and add new diagnostics;
- compiler monitoring to help programmers quickly and easily check the project without distracting people who support makefiles and the build system in general;
- documentation improvement, so that the user can get information with the examples about any diagnostic;
- testing, distribution, support organization.
In this article you will find more details about the abilities of PVS-Studio for Windows and the tasks it can already solve on Linux.